Belize Island Resort FAQs
Essential Information About Our Belize Dive Resort
- Q. Where is Blackbird Caye Resort situated?A. Blackbird Caye Resort is situated on the windward side of Blackbird Caye on the Turneffe Atoll in Belize within 4,000 acres of remote jungle.
- Q. What are my payment options?A. Guests can check out at Blackbird Resort in the morning before they leave, or the night before. All prices are in U.S. dollars and the currency exchange rate is US $1 = BZ $2. Guests can pay in Belize or US dollars. We accept cash, Visa and MasterCard on the island.
- Q. Do you offer babysitting services on the resort?A. Yes, prior to your arrival Blackbird can arrange a babysitter for those families who wish to bring along their young kids.
- Q. Do you have to be a certified diver to go on Blackbird’s guided dive trips?A. Yes, you must be a certified diver and be able to present a dive card. You will also need an advanced open water certification to dive the Blue Hole. Those who are not certified can become certified out at the resort by one of our instructors.
- Q. Are there additional expenses not included in our package?A. The resort will open a tab for each room at Check-in for bar and gift shop purchases. Hotel tax ($4.50 per night), Blue Hole & Half Moon Caye reserve fee ($40.00), and gratuity is not included. Persons can pay their tab the night before they depart or early in the morning on the day of departure.
- Q. Is it safe to swim in front of the island?A. Yes, it is safe to swim in the sea during the day. Blackbird’s salt-water crocodiles live on the lagoon side of the resort, where swimming is not recommended.
- Q. Do I require a visa to travel to Belize?A. Citizens of the United States and Canada do not need a visa when traveling to Belize. Most European countries do not require a visa.
- Q. What is the weather like in Belize?A. Our rainy season is from June through November, where most of the rain is in October and November. Belize is generally sunny all year round with warm winters and summers.
- Q. What is your tipping policy?A. Dive staff and management can be tipped directly. At check out with management, tips can be left at your discretion for bar, restaurant, and hidden staff.
- Q. What are the methods of transportation to the resort?A. Blackbird offers complimentary boat transfers on Wednesdays and Saturdays. The boat ride is a scenic 1:30 ride. Guests can also opt to take advantage of the only airstrip on the atoll, where we can arrange a charter flight from the Belize municipal airport to the resort for those wanting quicker transport to the resort. Flying time is 10-15 minutes to the resort and charters begin at 320.00 USD one way for a 3- seater private charter; also available are 5 , 7, 9, and 12-seater charters.
- Q. At what time should arrival into Belize City be in order to catch the boat transfer to the resort?A. In order to catch our complimentary boat transfers on Wednesday and Saturday we ask all guests to arrive at the Philip Goldson International Airport in Belize City no later than 2.30 PM. You will then be greeted by a Blackbird representative who will shuttle you to the Radisson docks, there you will board Bigbird, our transfer boat to the resort. Charters can be scheduled anytime in the afternoon and no later than 5 PM.
- Q. At what time is check-out from resort?A. Guests depart on the boat transfer at 8 AM. We ask that all departure flights be booked to leave Belize City anytime after 12:30 PM, giving them enough time to reach into the city and then be shuttled to the international airport comfortably. Private charters can depart the resort anytime before 12.00PM.
- Q.What language do they speak in Belize?A. The official language of Belize is English. In other areas of Belize you will find that people also speak Creole, Garifuna, Mayan, and Spanish.
- Q. Can I drink the water?A. Tap water is safe to drink at the resort.